Providing Taiping Securities with your personal data
We require your personal data in order to provide you with products and services you have requested and to manage our legal and regulatory obligations while doing so. We may use your personal information for the purposes, and disclose the information to the persons, set out in this Statement.
You must provide us with the personal data we request – if you do not we may not be able to provide you with the requested services and need to close or terminate any arrangements that we have.
Purpose for which your personal data may be used
We may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- considering applications for products and services and the daily operation of products, services and credit facilities provided to customers;
- conducting credit checks (including without limitation upon an application for consumer credit (including mortgage loans) and upon periodic or special reviews of the credit which normally will take place one or more times each year);
- creating and maintaining the our credit and risk related models
- assisting other financial institutions to conduct credit checks and collect debts;
- ensuring ongoing credit worthiness of customers;
- designing financial services or related products for customers' use;
- marketing services, products and other subjects;
- determining the amount of indebtedness owed to or by customers;
- collecting of amounts outstanding from customers and those providing security for customers' obligations;
- meeting obligations, requirements or arrangements, whether compulsory or voluntary, of the
Taiping Securities or any of its related bodies (referred to as members of the “Taiping Group”) to comply with, or in connection with:
- any law, regulation, judgment, court order, voluntary code, sanctions regime, within or outside the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("Hong Kong") existing currently and in the future ("Laws");
- any guidelines, guidance or requests given or issued by any legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial services providers within or outside Hong Kong existing currently and in the future and any international guidance, internal policies or procedures;
- any present or future contractual or other commitment with local or foreign legal, regulatory, judicial, administrative, public or law enforcement body, or governmental, tax, revenue, monetary, securities or futures exchange, court, central bank or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial service providers or any of their agents with jurisdiction over all or any part of the Taiping Group (together the "Authorities" and each an "Authority") that is assumed by, imposed on or applicable to any member of the Taiping Group; or
- complying with any obligations, requirements, policies, procedures, measures or arrangements for sharing data and information between members of the Taiping Group and/or any other use of data and information in accordance with any programmes for compliance with sanctions or prevention or detection of money laundering, terrorist financing or other unlawful activities;
- conducting any action to meet obligations of Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group to comply with Laws or international guidance or regulatory requests relating to or in connection with the detection, investigation and prevention of money laundering, terrorist financing, bribery, corruption, tax evasion, fraud, evasion of economic or trade sanctions and/or any acts or attempts to circumvent or violate any Laws relating to these matters;
- meeting any obligations of Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group to comply with any demand or request from the Authorities;
- enabling an actual or proposed assignee of the Taiping Securities, or participant or sub- participant of Taiping Securities’ rights in respect of the customer to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation; and purposes relating thereto.
Classes of persons to whom personal data may be transferred
Data held by Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group relating to an individual will be kept confidential but Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group may provide such information to the following parties (whether within or outside Hong Kong) for the purposes set out above:
- any agents, contractors, sub-contractors, service providers or associates of Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group (including their employees, directors, officers, agents, contractors, service providers, and professional advisers);
- any third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer, payment or securities clearing or other services to Taiping Securities in connection with the operation of its business (including their employees, directors and officers);
- any Authorities;
- any person under a duty of confidentiality to Taiping Securities including any member of the
Taiping Group which has undertaken to keep such information confidential;
- any persons acting on behalf of an individual whose data are provided, payment recipients, beneficiaries, account nominees, intermediary, correspondent and agent banks, clearing houses, clearing or settlement systems, market counterparties, upstream withholding agents, swap or trade repositories, stock exchanges, companies in which the customer has an interest in securities (where such securities are held by the Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group) or a person making any payment into the customer’s account;
- credit reference agencies, and, in the event of default, to debt collection agencies;
- any person to whom Taiping Securities or any member of the Taiping Group is under an
obligation or required or expected to make disclosure;
- any actual or proposed assignee of the Taiping Securities or participant or sub-participant or transferee of Taiping Securities’ rights in respect of the customer; and
- any member of the Taiping Group;
- third party financial institutions, insurers, credit card companies, securities and investment
- charitable or non-profit making organisations; and
- external service providers (including but not limited to mailing houses, telecommunication
companies, telemarketing and direct sales agents, call centres, data processing companies and information technology companies) that Taiping Securities engages.
Use of Data in Direct Marketing
Taiping Securities intends to use a customer's data in direct marketing and Taiping Securities requires the customer's consent (which includes an indication of no objection) for that purpose. In this connection, please note that:
- the name, contact details, products and other service portfolio information, transaction pattern
and behaviour, financial background and demographic data of a customer held by Taiping
Securities from time to time may be used by Taiping Securities in direct marketing;
- the following classes of services, products and subjects may be marketed:
Direct marketing of securities, financial products, investment products of Taiping Securities and any member of the Taiping Group.
The above services, products and subjects may be provided by or (in the case of donations and contributions) solicited by the Taiping Securities and/or:
- any member of the Taiping Group;
- third party financial institutions, insurers, credit card companies, securities and investment services providers;
- third party reward, loyalty, co-branding or privileges programme providers;
- charitable or non-profit making organisations;
Taiping Securities may receive money or other property in return for providing the data to the other persons and, when requesting the customer’s consent or no objection, Taiping Securities will inform the customer if it will receive any money or other property in return for providing the data to the other persons.
If a customer does not wish Taiping Securities to use or provide to other persons his data for use in direct marketing as described above, the customer may exercise his opt-out right by notifying Taiping Securities.
Requesting access to and correction of personal data held
Under and in accordance with the terms of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (“Ordinance”) and the Code of Practice on Consumer Credit Data approved and issued under the Ordinance, any individual has the right
- to check whether Taiping Securities holds data about him and of access to such data;
- to require Taiping Securities to correct any data relating to him which is inaccurate;
- to ascertain Taiping Securities’ policies and practices in relation to data and to be informed of
the kind of personal data held by the Taiping Securities;
- in relation to consumer credit, to be informed on request which items of data are routinely
disclosed to credit reference agencies or debt collection agencies, and be provided with further information to enable the making of an access and correction request to the relevant credit reference agency or debt collection agency; and
- upon satisfactory termination of the credit by full repayment and on condition that there has been, within five years immediately before such termination, no material default under the credit as determined by Taiping Securities, to instruct Taiping Securities to make a request to the relevant credit reference agency to delete from its database any account data relating to the terminated credit.
In accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, the Taiping Securities the right to charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any data access request.
The person to whom requests for access to data or correction of data or for information regarding policies and practices and kinds of data held are to be addressed as follows:
Customer Services Department, 29/F, China Insurance Group Building, 141 Des Voeux Road Central, Hong Kong
Taiping Securities may have obtained a credit report on the customer from a credit reference agency in considering any application for credit. In the event the customer wishes to access the credit report, Taiping Securities will advise the contact details of the relevant credit reference agency.
Nothing in this Notice shall limit the rights of customers under the Ordinance.
Note: In case of discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions, the English version shall apply and prevail.